Randall Wickes assumed presidency of the companies forming the Wickes
Corporation in 1941 and served in that capacity until 1964. To promote
his philanthropic interests, he established the Harvey Randall Wickes
Foundation in 1946, dedicating its resources to "scientific, educational
and charitable" projects. The Foundation assisted on many projects
with the university, including the original purchase of land, the
football complex, the Pioneer Hall of Engineering Program, library
books and scholarships. Through the Foundation,
Wickes contributed $1 million toward the original building fund.
Upon his death, the bulk of his estate was transferred to the foundation.
Wickes passed away in 1964. The naming of the Harvey Randall Wickes
football stadium and Wickes Hall recognizes Wickes' efforts in the
founding of the University.
The Valley Vanguad, February 19, 2001